Tuesday, 15 November 2016 21:13
The recent elections have brought about many changes in our state and nation, one of those changes is the passage of I-1433 in Washington State.
How will the new Washington State minimum wage and paid sick leave affect you as a business or employee?
- The state minimum wage will increase to $13.50 per hour.
- The increase will be phased in over the next few years.
- $11.00 per hour in 2017
- $11.50 per hour in 2018
- $12.00 per hour in 2019
- $13.50 per hour in 2020
- Starting in 2021 it will increase each year at the rate of inflation (est. 2.7% per year)
Paid Sick Leave
- Employers required to provide paid sick leave to all employees starting January 2018.
- Paid sick leave will be based on an accrual rate
- 1 hour is accrued for every 40 hours worked (1 to 40 ratio)
- A full time employee will accrue 52 hours (6.5 days) per year
- Employers are responsible to track all accrual balances